Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Cheney: Gay Marriage is Okay



In what may come as a surprise to many, former Vice President Dick Cheney recently spoke in support of gay marriage. According to the former VP:

"I think that freedom means freedom for everyone. As many of you know, one of my daughters is gay and it is something we have lived with for a long time in our family. I think people ought to be free to enter into any kind of union they wish. Any kind of arrangement they wish."

To be clear, Mr. Cheney believes this should be a decision made at the state level and not at the federal level:

"The question of whether or not there ought to be a federal statute to protect this, I don't support. I do believe that historically the way marriage has been regulated is at the state level. It has always been a state issue and I think that is the way it ought to be handled, on a state-by-state basis. ... But I don't have any problem with that. People ought to get a shot at that."

Who would have thunk it, I half-agree with the cantankerous old man! Indeed, people should be able to marry if they choose to. I happen to think a federal statute would help guarantee this right.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger