Sunday, August 23, 2009

Guns, Hate, and Rallies



I was away for the last week and while trying to catch up on news, I was flabbergasted that a few stories in the news cycle were about people carrying guns to President Obama's town hall events.

I consider myself a tacit supporter of the second amendment. A good case can be made for the right to bear arms and I think liberals are often overzealous in our desire to ban guns from every corner of the country. That said, I cannot fathom how it makes sense for anyone to bring a gun within even an earshot of the President of the United States (POTUS).

I understand that the area immediately occupied by POTUS is considered a federal site and as a result guns are not allowed. Nonetheless, the thought of someone mulling around in the vicinity with an assualt rifle scares me.

As I think back to the Bush I, Clinton and Bush II, I cannot remember a pattern of carrying guns to any of their events. I couple that with the hate that has emanated from attendees of Obama's recent town halls, and I can't help but wonder if part of this is a reaction to having our first Black head of state.

I applaud the Obama administration speaking up for the right to bear arms. I applaud the Secret Services' statements that they can do their job even when guns are brought around presidential events. However, when I read signage at these events such as: "Death To Obama, Death To Michelle And Her Two Stupid Kids," I can't help but be scared for this nation; and scared for our president.

Picture from: TalkingPointsMemo.com

No comments:

Powered By Blogger