Monday, March 9, 2009

Spring Cleaning

Like many of you, I am overjoyed about the inevitable arrival of spring. Over the past 72 hours, I have increasingly sensed a promise of warm weather and rejuvenation. When I first checked the weather channel this past weekend, I immediately started making a list of things to do-- with the breeze and the sun and the temperature, I figured I would open the windows of my house and air things out. Freshen things up. Do my spring cleaning.

But something else took over. I started thinking about the issues and the news and the challenges facing my community and my city, and even the rest of the country and the world. And I started thinking about things that I could do to make change happen beyond my doorstep.

Perhaps the past few days are deceiving. Perhaps we have a few more weeks left to this winter. However, I felt it. I really did. A sense that the spring that arrives in a few weeks, and the summer that will follow, will bring good things. For me, and hopefully for others, with the warm weather from this past weekend came a brief sentiment of optimism, a promise of change.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger