Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Starbury Rising

By Jay Brown

The world sucks right now. No jobs, no money, no credit. You’ve read about it, I won't belabor the point. I’ve been trying to find an escape for a few weeks now, trying to find something that gives me hope as poverty levels rise, unemployment grows, and more families face food insecurity.

Without a doubt, I will find respite in the National Basketball Association.

At first glance, however, I find nothing.

KG is hurt, the Knicks are borderline respectable, everyone seems to forget why we should all hate Kobe. Teams are desperately dumping salary while the Association is making a $200 Million line of credit available to struggling teams. My favorite columnist has a rude awakening for me too - the NBA isn't immune from the current financial mess, and we're looking at a possible lockout in 2011.

Congratulations, economy, you've ruined everything.

Then, it happened. Stephon Marbury signed with the Boston Celtics.

Starbury has become my Knight in Shining Armor. Really, he’s my hero. In 2006, Starbury unveiled his real gift to the world when the NBA All Star launched a line of apparel for low income athletes, beginning with the Starbury One's which sold for $14.98 (For perspective - the 2009 Jordan’s go for $189.99 while Timmy and Suzy go to bed hungry). Starbury hasn’t come out with a new sneaker this year, but I’m praying that those Green and Black Starbury 3's will hit stores before the playoffs.

In the meantime, I'll be rocking my Starbury Ones in pick up games with some co-workers on Thursdays at 4:00 in solidarity with the kids whose parents can't afford to drop 100 bones on court shoes; and I'll smile inside every time I see Starbury rocking a pair of his Two's for my home town team.

The NBA is going into the tank along with the rest of the nation. But, for the next 4-5 months, I'll be cheering for a headcase who's making a difference on more basketball courts than the ones in NBA arenas.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger